Thursday, May 17, 2012

Way out West

I have just spent a couple of days in Perth. I was there for an education workshop, representing the National Trust. I have not been to Perth before and I must say I think it would be an easy city to live in. That's only a fleeting first impression of course but I thought it had some lovely old buildings.


This is His Majesty's Theatre, obviously built after Queen Victoria died in 1901.


The workshop was held in this building which was originally the residence of the Government Astronomer. The observatory where he worked has been demolished. This is now the headquarters of the National Trust Western Australia.

On Tuesday afternoon we went to Fremantle to see this house which belongs to the Trust. It was home to the Samson family.


Many of the neighbouring houses had towers like this, presumably to get great ocean views. I wonder how long they sat up there, gazing out? 


And this is the view they were looking at; the Indian Ocean. From the house we wandered down into the town with a very knowledgeable guide named Mike. This photo was taken from near the Roundhouse (the original Fremantle prison) just on dusk. Rottnest Island is out there on the horizon.
Flitting from one side of the continent to the other in a couple of days is a bit tiring, but I had a great time... oh.. and did a bit of work too! 




No comments:

Post a Comment