Tuesday, July 5, 2011

My lips are sealed

Have you ever committed to buying something without actually checking the cost first? Then been shocked but so embarrassed that you go ahead and spend the money anyway? My treasures today definitely fit the profile.





A few years back, I decided that they were all looking a bit the worse for wear- plating worn and the handle on the sandwich tray had become detached. So off I went to the silver plater to have them redone. Didn't I ask for a quote?you ask. Well, no- and the amount I did pay is a secret I will take to my grave.

The sandwich tray was a twenty-first birthday gift, sadly I don't remember who was the giver.

This sugar bowl came from my grandmother's house and I acquired it the way I have acquired lots of other old family things. My sisters say- This is old and shabby, I'm sure Carolyn will want it.
The coal scuttle sugar container was a birthday gift from my in-laws over thirty years ago. Obviously I have been a collector of old stuff for a long time.
Having paid more than I probably should have to make these things look new again, of course they must be considered treasures.


Don't forget to visit with Melody to see who else is sharing today. Having trouble linking again (grr) so just click on the link on the right.


11 comments:

  1. Hello Carolyn.

    Oh I would be using the sandwhich plate everyday to justify the cost. You will soon forget about the cost and begin to enjoy it. Love your collection.
    happy days.
    Bev.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dread to think what they cost but they do look lovely now. Thanks so much for sharing them and their story with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pieces... I do love pretty silver.....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Carolyn, you had your heart in the right place!! Who doesn't want to keep old things looking lovely!!lol...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love silver pieces Carolyn. Cheers Kaylee

    ReplyDelete
  6. A couple of years ago, on a very hot day, I went into a little dress shop that had a pretty cool-looking cotton top in the window. I tried it on but didn't ask the price. I said I would have it and keep it on. Turns out it was over €70! It was a bit small too, so I didn't even get the wear out of it...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your secret is safe with us Carolyn....thank goodness "Carolyn" does like old stuff as we wouldn't be sharing these lovely treasures with you now...Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh they are beautiful. I'm sure once you recover from the shock of the cost (how ever long ago that may have been) you will start enjoying them once again. I think they were worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Worth every penny! :)and I have a rough idea how much it would have cost, too.... I had a beetroot fork done a few years ago and I also had a quote for some earrings to be redone. Decided the earrings could be replaced with similar new ones as they didn't really have any sentimental value! lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. These pieces were worth whatever you paid , they are gorgeous and deserved to be preserved ,lovely treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love silver things. I haven't ever thought about getting items replated. Probably a bit cheaper than buying new things. Great treasures.

    ReplyDelete