Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Marvellous Melbourne

It has been a while since my last post, but this time I have a very good reason. Just before Easter I spent a week in Victoria, managing to fit in a few days visiting a friend in Kyneton, a couple of days at The Australasian Quilt Convention and another couple of days playing tourist in Melbourne with my sister and brother-in-law (well, sort of being a bit of a tour guide also, since I lived in Melbourne many moons ago).
The quilt show was awesome, particularly because of the amazing building where it is held.


The Royal Exhibition Building is World Heritage listed and has been beautifully restored and maintained. It seemed to add an extra dimension to the show, quite different from the craft shows held at the modern convention centres. The quilts on show were selected from ten years worth of displays, some were familiar and some I hadn't seen before. A favourite is this one, based on an antique quilt the maker found pictured in a book by Annette Gero.


The challenge quilts had to fit the theme of "10" and there were some very clever and interesting interpretations. This one really appealed, although it wasn't a winner.


I didn't buy much, I was keen to experience the event, but of course I succumbed just a little bit. I bought a few Japanese themed fabrics as I have been planning a quilt for my son, and these were just too well priced to pass up. I also picked just a couple of fat quarters in colours I liked and a table stand for minis. I think I need to start making some small things so I don't get overwhelmed.


I had a lovely week, and apart from the first couple of days, the weather was really kind. I do love Melbourne, but I don't miss living there!


1 comment:

  1. Quilt shows never fail to intrigue and amaze me, all so different.

    ReplyDelete