Thursday, February 10, 2011

Willow Pattern


One of my favourite china patterns is Blue Willow. My everyday china has the pattern and I have accessories, teapot, jugs and sugar bowl to match; even a set of tin canisters. None of those is particularly old or especially precious, however, the one in the picture is a favourite in my collection.

I don't know how old it is , as it has no backstamp or markings. I bought it on my first trip to the UK in 2000, from an antique shop in Chester, which is a fascinating city. It has Roman remains and is surrounded by a 2000 (almost)year old wall. It is also credited with having what could be called the first shopping arcade. There are lots of half-timbered shops and dwellings in the Tudor style, but apparently they were mostly built in the Victorian era.

4 comments:

  1. That is a lovely one! Always looks fabulous on a white cloth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been finding heaps of blue willow china ware lately for really cheap. The other day I bought 3 sets of four plates (different patterns different stamps but all BW) for $5 the lot, and today I got a creamer and sugar set for $3.50 each. And I scored a real beaut of a bargain at a garage sale a few weekends ago with a beautiful BW teapot. I wonder what the story is behind yours, I'd love to know who made it! Pity there's no stamp...

    ReplyDelete
  3. forgot to say, the teapot was $10. I seem to be starting my own collection! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pieces, Carolyn! I started collecting BW in the 1980s, but as the 'çhildren' have no interest in inheriting it, I gave a lot away to a younger friend who displays it proudly. I have éxcess' Blue Willow linen if you are interested. Going free to a good home

    ReplyDelete