Friday, August 12, 2011

Friday French favourites

Joining Selina again to share some lovely French stuff. A bit of a problem coming up with different posts when we travelled together but... c'est la vie!
One of my favourite places we visited was Arles, the place our cruise started from. I knew there was a Roman arena there but not much else about the place. Not having studied art I wasn't aware of its connection with Vincent van Gogh, but our guide told us lots about his stay there and pointed out places associated with his paintings.
This picture is of the garden at the hospice where he stayed and it is kept looking very much the same as it looked in his painting.

We also went to the cafe which features in his painting 'Cafe by night' but somehow I neglected to take a picture. Quel dommage! (what a pity)







2 comments:

  1. Yeh, weird, I forgot too! I got a photo of the cafe next door to the night cafe, and you can see it in that photo, but not a photo by itself. Thanks for joining in again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there about 6 weeks ago! Posted here:
    http://patchworknplay.blogspot.com/2011/07/arles.html
    Looks like they change the flower beds a bit!

    ReplyDelete