Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday treasures

It is hard to pinpoint a time in my life before I was able to sew, knit and craft; at primary school we had sewing lessons early on and my mother and grandmothers were always making things too. But I am able to pinpoint the time when I became aware of and interested in crafts I had never heard of, and developed an understanding of the rich history of things I had previously considered to be only domestic in nature. This came about when I began collecting the "Golden Hands" magazine series in the early seventies.


I have the entire collection, all six volumes. A wonderful assortment of crafts are represented, with instructions for beginners as well as experienced crafters. All kinds of embroidery, dressmaking, knitting, crochet... it would take a lifetime to have a go at them all. Also included is information about the tools of each one; guides to explain the importance of correct gauge in knitting and the care of different fabrics.


An absolute treasure trove!
Don't forget to pop over to Melody's to see who else is sharing today.

8 comments:

  1. They are lovely books, I remember looking through my mother's collection many years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what memories. My Mum has - still a full set of Golden Hands but hers are different. Hers are on thinner books and there are more then six in her set. They actually have a golden colour. They must have been the budget set :-)
    I must admist, I have referenced them many times in the past as I am learning.
    Thanks for sharing your precious treasure :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely Carolyn. It's when we look back into 'old' books that we realize that all the 'new' things we are doing aren't really that new at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those books. I think my Mum had some. It is great to have sources of reference that give you the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I use to have those....I wonder where they are now, I must have given them away when we moved to France :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great treasure. I love the fabric picture, looks like prints we use now. It's great that some things can still be helpful to us no matter how old they are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A fabulous treasure, I bet there are all sorts of fabulous projects just waiting to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Carolyn what a super treasure. Do any of your books have the pattern for the long crochet dressing gown? My book fell to bits. I think it was Golden Hands. Love the series. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete